Temporary Residence

Each year, millions of people come to Canada on a temporary basis as visitors, students, and workers. At Sherritt Greene, we help individuals from all over the world obtain the authorization they need to gain temporary resident status.

Temporary Resident Visas

Citizens of certain countries require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada as a temporary resident. A TRV will only be granted if the immigration officer is satisfied that the applicant has genuine “temporary intent.” In other words, the officer must believe that the applicant does not intend to remain in Canada beyond the period of the authorized stay.

Work Permits

To apply for a work permit, applicants generally require a job offer backed by a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) confirming that the employer is unable to find a qualified Canadian citizen or permanent resident to fill the position. Canada’s immigration scheme also provides numerous work permits based upon exemptions to the LMIA requirement. A skilled immigration lawyer can greatly assist employers and foreign workers in determining and obtaining the most appropriate work permit.

Study Permits

Studying abroad offers an enriching experience that exposes students to other cultures and puts them in touch with unique job opportunities. Acceptance at a designated Canadian educational institution is the first step in applying for a study permit. Along with proof of acceptance, the applicant must prove he or she has sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses.

Working or studying in Canada may also serve as the first step toward permanent resident status. Whether you are interested in staying in Canada for a temporary period, or hope to make the transition to permanent resident status, Sherritt Greene can assist you in identifying your options and providing you with the necessary guidance throughout the application process.

Contact Us

Call Sherritt Greene today at (403) 237-0202 for a consultation regarding your immigration matter.